Vendor

NSN: Mobile Data Traffic Increased 54% Between Dec 2011-June 2012 In India; 3G Vs 2G Traffic

Updated:2012/8/23 09:58

Mobile data traffic has increased by 54% in the last seven months (December 2011- June 2012), according to the Mobile Broadband India Traffic Index (MBit) report released by Nokia Siemens Network (NSN), which claims to provide a sneak peek into the mobile broadband performance in India and the data traffic growth trends across the country.

Methodology: Nokia Siemens Network stated that the report was generated based on the data of 290 million mobile data users in India and the actual payload data (2G & 3G) taken from NSN operated 62 networks in the country. The company said that it has also sourced data from its Managed Services and Packet Core footprint in the country.

Highlights From The Report

- 3G traffic Increasing but 2G still dominant: 3G traffic has increased by 78% in the last seven months while 2G traffic has increased by 47% during the period. 3G connections account for 25% of the total data traffic and 2G connections account for the remaining 75%.

 

- 3G device penetration stands at 6% and there are around 100,000 3G sites in India, as compared to 1 million 2G sites in the country.

- 3G customers consume 4X data: On an average, 3G users consumed 397 MB data per month as of June 2012, four times higher than 2G users who have consumed 95 MB per month. In comparison, 3G users consumed 338 MB per month and 2G users consumed 86 MB per month, as of December 2011.

- 3G traffic increased by 17% month on month in June 2012, which was more than double of the average monthly traffic growth in 2012, which stood at 7%. The company attributed this spike to the recent 3G tariff cuts across various telecom operators.

- 14% of the 3G traffic was driven by uploading rich content (pictures, audio, video) to social networking sites like Facebook and YouTube. 3G traffic is highest between 10pm-11pm indicating that people use 3G services at home for personal entertainment purposes.

- Web browsing accounted for 81% of the data usage in 2G connections, followed by Audio/Video which accounted for 17% of the data usage and other activities which accounted for 2% of the data usage.

Circle-wise stats:

- In Metro circles, 3G data grew by 81% and 2G data grew by 24%. The report says that Metro circles has the highest smart phone penetration of 10-12% and 11% of the covered population are generating 21% of the total data traffic. This data is based on the sample data gathered from 8% of the active 3G subscriptions and 18% of the total active GSM subscriptions.

- In Category A circles, 3G data grew by 70% and 2G data grew by 46%. 35% of the covered population are generating 36% of the total data traffic, although these circles have a low 3G enabled device penetration. This data is based on the sample data gathered from 40% of the active 3G subscriptions and 27% of the total active GSM subscriptions.

- In Category B circles i.e. the circles which comprise of mid-sized urban areas and large towns like Haryana, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and so on, 3G data grew by 87% and 2G data grew by 55%. 40% of the covered population are generating 36% of the total data traffic. The report says these circles have significant USB dongle users. This data is based on the sample data gathered from 47% of the active 3G subscriptions and 27% of the total active GSM subscriptions.

- In Category C circles, 3G data grew by 70% while 2G data grew by 107%. 14% of the covered population are generating the remaining 7% of the total data traffic. The report says these circles have a low 3G enabled device penetration. This data is based on the sample data gathered from 11% of the active 3G subscriptions and 23% of the total active GSM subscriptions.

 Source:medianama
For press release services, please email us at english@c114.net.cn.

Related News

    E-Mail:english@c114.net.cn

    Copyright© 2014 C114 All rights reserved.